2 minutes reading time
ACEhp CPD Pulse Points June Edition: Stress Management for Planners and Learners
In April, the Alliance for Continuing Education in the Health Professions (ACEhp) began a weekly series of webinars called "CPD Pulse Points." In each session, Chitra Subramanian, current ACEhp president, has a conversation with a guest about a topic relevant to healthcare CPD today. Registration is free for ACEhp members and $25 for non-members. Each session is recorded and made available for learners who are unable to attend the live meeting, so if any of the sessions sound interesting to you, they are available for viewing in full.
After two months focused almost completely on how COVID-19 has required changes in how we deliver educational content, in June the focus of the weekly CPD Pulse Point webinar centered on leadership. While there was still discussion of online learning, the overall theme of the month was stress and burnout. Speakers acknowledged that this is an issue for us as educators as well as for the clinicians who are our learners. Key Takeaways:
- Mindfulness does not have to be stereotypical meditation. Taking a moment to acknowledge your surroundings and your feelings can help manage stress… even if the feeling you're acknowledging is that you're overwhelmed by everything going on in your life.
- The pandemic has been stressful for everyone. Frontline workers have the stress of PPE shortages and an increase in the number of patient deaths, but those who have been able to work from home are also dealing with new and/or different stressors. The one does not negate the other.
- Some stress is necessary for learning, but a balance must be made between that necessary stress found within a lesson and the stress that learners face in the rest of their lives. Beginning a session with some sort of check-in, mindfulness, or deep breath can help refocus so that the stress learners feel will be the necessary kind.
- To reduce and refocus learner stress, CPD should aim to be engaging, fun, and mindful.
- Instead of creating new activities, stress management and burnout prevention should be integrated into existing CPD activities so that it doesn't become one more thing that clinicians need to fit into their day.
The following are the sessions held in June. June CPD Pulse Points